If you are ready to jump into content marketing as a small business, setting up a solid foundation will give you lasting results. When referring to content marketing, I’m talking about your website blog. Your business is now becoming a news source for your ideal customer.
Once you start up the content marketing engine, you have to keep at it. Taking these steps before you start will ensure you don’t run out of steam.
Content Marketing Steps
- Set a schedule: Find out what you (or your team) can manage. You need to keep a consistent schedule day(s) of week and time(s).
- Who are you writing too?: Look beyond your business products and services. Who would read and benefit from the information you are providing? Who will take a call to action or a next step so you capture contact information?
- Finding content: Look at websites you use currently for reading content. Set up Google Alerts around keywords and topics you are interested in. Look for questions people are asking and answer them in a blog, then tell the person to check out what you wrote.
- Linking rule of thumb: In most blog post you write, there should be one internal and one external link. Post will come up that require multiple, which is fine.
- Grow and involve the team: As your business grows or the team grows, give them topics or assignments to complete.
When working with clients, we talk about this as well as how to tie in your social media marketing efforts. Let us know what we can do to help your business build a marketing strategy.